On the 15. of May we invite cloud technologies practitioners from pure and cross-cutting IT fields to a first BASMATI training workshop. It will take place at the Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (ICCS). The event will be introduced by a presentation of the BASMATI project. Furthermore it will cover Smart Brokering Solutions for Clouds and Cloudlets as well as the use cases of BASMATI.
Please note: The workshop is open and free of charge but limited to about 30-40 attendees. Please confirm your attendance per email (K. Tserpes: email@example.com).
- 18:00 – 18:15 – Welcome and BASMATI project presentation (K. Tserpes/ICCS)
- 18:15 – 19:00 – Smart Brokering Solutions for Clouds and Cloudlets (P. Dazzi / CNR)
- 19:00 – 19:30 – BASMATI Use Cases
- 19:30 – 20:00 – Open discussion
Nowadays cloud technologies represent one main pillar of distributed and high-availability cyber-infrastructure. Moreover efficiency and cost-effectivness make cloud computing open to companies of all size – including SMEs. However, using the full potential requires specific solutions to be managed comprehensively in a user-friendly manner. Besides fluctuating demands this management needs to consider complex sets of (application specific) requirements and policies. Those have to be matched by the corresponding capabilities and offerings of different cloud providers, both in isolation and in combination. Ideally it also promotes cross-cloud application migration to alleviate the vendor lock-in. Therefore in our BASMATI Training Workshop we present two contributions in the field of Cloud Brokering:
- A highly flexible genetic approach for Cloud Brokering, focusing on Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) resources for satisfying Quality of Service (QoS) requirements of applications. The experimental evaluation of such approach showed that near-optimal solutions can be found, even when dealing with hundreds of providers.
- A self-optimising decentralised service placement in heterogeneous Cloud Federation. It manages the complex needs of different kinds of applications, ensuring energy efficiency, reduced costs for resource providers while enhancing the user experience.